Banana Chocolate Cake
This recipe can be modified to make banana bread or chocolate banana cake and muffins. To make cake use cacao powder. To make bread just opt out the cacao and use the rest of the ingredients.
- 2 cups flour of your choice: wheat, spelt, or gluten free flour (see notes below)
- 3 tbsp organic cacao powder (opt out if make banana bread)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp celtic or himalayan salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon/lime juice
- 100 gms melted coconut oil/olive oil or any other vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups/400 gms/4 medium sized mashed bananas
Frosting Ingredients (for cake):
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil room temperature
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Heat the oven to 180 C. In a bowl, mix lour, cacao powder, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl, add coconut oil, coconut sugar and apple cider vinegar. Mix well. Now add the dry ingredients and mashed banana with a rubber spatula, gently folding in. Do not over mix as this is the secret to fluffy cake. Place in a cake tin of your choice and bake for 40 min or until the skewer comes out clean. Let it cool a little.
Frosting – Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl, The consistency should be thick and easy to spread with a knife. Spread it evenly on the cake, cut and serve warm. Enjoy!
- with butter, honey, maple syrup or chocolate sauce
- with vanilla or chocolate icecream
- Gluten free option: Use a mix of gluten free flours: almond flour, rice flour, buckwheat flour or tapioca starch
This cake/bread is moist, delicious and wholesome. It has nourishing and grounding quality loved by kids and adults. Hope you enjoy our recipe! Please share it with your family and friends and give us feedback.
With love from Mama Louisa and the chefs.
Please see our menu on the Cafe, Bar & Restaurant page.