Vegetable Patties – Recipe from Mama Louisa
Ingredients: makes about 12 patties depending on the size
- Mixed organic vegetables – 4 carrots, 2 potatoes or kumara, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 small onion, fresh herbs. We use seasonal vegetbales
- 2 tbsp flour of your choice – gluten free or normal
- 2 organic eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- Optional – ground organic seeds of your choice – sesame seeds, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds
- coconut oil for cooking
Process all the veggies in a food processor or grate it with a hand grater. Take them out in a bowl, add eggs and mix well, Add flour, ground seeds, salt and spices. Mix until all is well combined. It should be a thick mix and not runny. If it is runny add more flour, if its dry add some water. Let it sit for a 5 to 10 minutes. Heat some coconut oil in a pan. With a spoon, scoop the mix and place it in the pan, pat it down to make a patty. Make a few patties at a time. Cover and let it cook on low heat. Flip over when they are golden brown and bake the side with lid closed. Once both sides are done, take them out on a serving dish layered with some paper towels to soap up excess oil and moisture. Serve with mayonnaise, mustard sauce or any side dish. Enjoy warm!
3 tsp organic mustard, 3 tsp tomato sauce or ketchup, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp soya sauce, 1 tsp coconut or olive oil, juice of half lime or lemon, some crushed garlic and little water. Shake it a glass jar with a lid and store in fridge.
- with a side dish of fresh green salad
- with a side dish of mashed sweet potato and stir fried vegetables
- sprinkled with roasted onions and pesto
- served with mayonnaise or mustard sauce
- Vegan option: You can opt out eggs to make a vegan version, just use 1 tsp baking powder
- Gluten Free Option: To make gluten free, use flours like chickpea flour or besan, rice flour or tapioca starch
- It is nourishing and wholesome dish loved by kids and adults. We serve it with fresh salad and mashed kumala at our restaurant.
Please see our menu on the Cafe, Bar & Restaurant page.
Hope you enjoy our recipe! Thank you for reading.
With love from Mama Louisa and the chefs.